The extracellular matrix (ECM) is a dynamic structural network that provides a physical scaffolding, as well as biochemical factors that maintain normal tissue homeostasis and thus its disruption is implicated in many pathological conditions. On the other hand, senescent cells express a particular secretory phenotype, affecting the composition and organization of the surrounding ECM and modulating their microenvironment. As accumulation of senescent cells may be linked to the manifestation of several age-related conditions, senescence-associated ECM alterations may serve as targets for novel anti-aging treatment modalities.
Strategic outline of interventions targeting extracellular matrix for promoting healthy longevity
- Mavrogonatou, E., Papadopoulou, A., Pratsinis, H., & Kletsas, D. (2023). Senescence-associated alterations in the extracellular matrix: Deciphering their role in the regulation of cellular function. American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology. 325(3), C633-C647 PMID: 37486063 DOI: 10.1152/ajpcell.00178.2023
- Mebratu, Y. A., Soni, S., Rosas, L., Rojas, M., Horowitz, J. C., & Nho, R. (2023). The aged extracellular matrix and the profibrotic role of senescence-associated secretory phenotype. American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology, 325(3), C565-C579. PMID: 37486065 DOI: 10.1152/ajpcell.00124.2023
- Kailash, K., Hawes, J., Cocciolone, A., Bersi, M. R., Mecham, R. P., & Wagenseil, J. E. Constitutive Modeling Of Mouse Arteries Suggests Changes In Directional Coupling And Extracellular Matrix Remodeling That Depend On Artery Type, Age, Sex And Elastin Amounts. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 1-42. PMID: 37646627 DOI: 10.1115/1.4063272
- Park, J. Y. C., King, A., Björk, V., English, B. W., Fedintsev, A., & Ewald, C. Y. (2023). Strategic outline of interventions targeting extracellular matrix for promoting healthy longevity. American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology. 325(1), C90-C128. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpcell.00060.2023
- Elastin Biosciences announces breakthrough discovery in elastin restoration